Aloe Vera, also known as Ghrita kumari, is a well-known herb because of its multiple uses in the cosmetic, nutraceutical, and pharmaceutical industries. It is an effective appetizer, digestant, and liver stimulant as well as used in many skin conditions.
Aloe Vera is called kumari because of its antibacterial properties, which are used to treat pimples, acne and heal wounds. It also helps to get rid of hyperpigmented areas.
It contains 75 potentially active constituents like vitamins, enzymes, minerals, sugars, lignin, saponins, amino acids, and salicylic acids. Many pharmacological activities have shown notable results in clinical and experimental results.
- Hindi – Kumari
- English – Aloe Vera
- Bengali – Ghrita kumari
- Telugu – Kalaband
- Kannada – Lolesara
- Urdu – Gheegwar
- Arabic – Sibr
- Malayalam – Kattar vazha
- Nepal- Ghyu kumari
- Rasa (Taste) – Tikta ( bitter)
- Guna (Characteristics) – Guru (heaviness), Snigdha (unctuous), Picchila (sticky)
- Viya (Potency) –Sheeta (cold)
- Vipaka (Final taste after digestion) – Katu (Pungent)
- Karma – Kapha-vatahara, Rasayana,Vrsya, Bhedini, Caksusya, Brmhana
- Prabhava – Bhedana
- Purgative, Emollient, Anti-inflammatory, Anti-microbial, Diuretic
- Indications: ulcerative colitis, constipation, colic, skin disorders.
Fresh juice: 10-20ml, pulp- 1-3gm, aqueousextracts 100-300mg.
- Used internally as an Anthelmintic and laxative
- Kumari juice and turmeric powder is given in splenomegaly
- The nasal instillation of kumari juice is advised for jaundice patients
- Ghee prepared with kumari, Yastimadhu is advised in apasmara
- Aloe vera is a rich source of antioxidants and vitamins that may help in skin conditions like psoriasis and dermatitis
- It is used for wound healing
- Useful for controlling dandruff and hair fall
- Aloe vera juice is also used to lose weight and to manage diabetes by stabilizing blood sugar
- It is used in worm infections
- It is used in the treatment of IBS, kidney stones, and Crohn’s disease
- Kumari helps in reducing plaques and swelling of gums
- It is used for the treatment of genital ulcers and hemorrhoids
- It is used in conjunctivitis
- It improves ovulation chances
- It is used to improve vision and reduce redness, burning sensation of the eyes
- Aloe-derived compounds are used in the treatment of ulcerative colitis.
- The external use of Aloe Vera showed significant results for frostbite and minor wounds including radiation burns in clinical and experimental studies
- Internally used for the treatment of peptic ulcer, diabetes 2, Asthma, HIV but these potential uses need additional studies.
- It is advised to avoid the use of kumari during pregnancy as it may cause miscarriage by increasing uterine contractions
- Sometimes, it might cause stomach ache, diarrhea, and skin problems
Conclusion: This plant has widely been used for a long time due to its healing properties and medicinal use. It presents the finest commercial opportunity because of its extensive medicinal, Nutraceutical uses. This plant works on all Dhatus, following srotas like- digestive, circulatory, female reproductive, excretory. The key is to keep a natural way to limit diseases, and this can be managed by taking on Ayurveda practices and medicines. In case you have a query, you can always consult our online Ayurvedic doctors at Total Ayurveda Care and get answers to your question.