Ayurveda places a great emphasis on the value of caring for the mother before, during, and following pregnancy and opines that the birth of a child causes an imbalance in the doshas as a large gap is created in the womb that was once occupied by the fetus and placenta.
The process of childbirth which is physically demanding and rigorous excites Vayu and gradually makes 7 Dhatu’s weakened and diminished from the usual state. This phase is called as Sutika period- a term derived from the word prasoota. Different cultures have different supportive post-partum measures for both, mother and baby. Ayurveda advocates soothika (a lady after delivery) as 45-90 days after delivery or up to the beginning of her next menstrual cycle.
Aims of postnatal care-
- Agni deepana
- Yoni samshodhana
- Vata samana and anulomana
- Stanya janana
A proper regimen is recommended for this period and proper adherence to this regimen results in faster health improvement in the mother.
1-7 days after delivery:
- Abhyanga – body massage using Vatahara taila
- Snana– the mother should take bath twice daily with the medicated water which helps in balancing vata dosha. Herbal bath powders are recommended for preventing stretch marks, hair falls, and toning up the body and also recommended to apply Herbal Collyrium to eyes regularly after bath to enhance vision and to provide a cooling effect to eyes and mind.
- The abdomen should be properly wrapped properly with a cloth
- Sneha pana– intake of medicated oil
- Diet should be very light
From 8th day:
- Mother should consume herbs which are jeevaniya, sweet and helps in balancing vata dosha
- Cooked rice with milk can be given
- after 90 days specialized massages made of dry or oily Potalis/Pindas (herbs are tied in a cloth and made into a pouch) can be used
Diet for Postnatal Care according to Ayurveda:
According to Ayurveda, considering your digestive system, you must take Sesame oil with clarified butter after mixing it with Panchkola. After digestion, you must consume rice gruel that is medicated with panchkola and Vidharigandhadi Gana. Apart from these, you must eat foods that are easily digestible (laghu ahara) to help you regain your strength.
- Practicing of Yoga
- Maintaining a proper diet
- Opt for Ayurveda therapies and lifestyle
- Yoga practices like anulom vilom and others help in enhancing immunity, stress relief etc.
- A diet having Shadras to be taken in a balanced diet that makes it helpful to get minerals, Vitamins which are helpful for a healthy pregnancy
Ayurveda Therapies such as-
- Sneha Basti,
- Matra Basti
These therapies are not only helpful during the pregnancy phase but also post-pregnancy. There is several medicated ghee that is given to pregnant women during and post-pregnancy.
Herbs in postnatal care
All the medicines and herbs mentioned below are never advised together should be given depending on your symptoms and condition.
1. Dashamoolarishtam: it is extremely effective in boosting your immunity and protect against many infections. It is usually prescribed for the first few months as it also helps lower inflammation and pain.
2. Jeerakarishtam: it is well known for inducing normal lactation, and is usually prescribed to mothers during the monsoon/winter seasons, because it keeps the body warm owing to its hot potency and nature as well.
3. Shatavari: it is mixed with hot water and consumed to improve the production of breast milk and to avoid postpartum depression. It also helps in normal involution of the uterus.
4. Musta: Apart from improving breast milk production, it also relieves clogs in milk ducts and reduces inflammation
Do’s and don’ts tips for mother in postnatal care
• Massage yourself with Vatahara Oil (the oil which pacifies vitiated vata dosha)
• Bathe with warm water
• Keep your perineum and breasts clean
• Sutika should urinate every 5 hourly
• Breastfeeding should be done properly
• Don’t consume food irregularly
• Don’t have stale or cold food
• Don’t retain urine or feces
• Don’t indulge in sex or exercise
An Ayurvedic postpartum regimen is an excellent way, where soothika needs proper care and a healthy diet. This helps in regaining the normal size of the uterus, production of milk, prevention of infection & excess uterine bleeding. At Total Ayurveda Care, our online Ayurvedic Doctors help you with a diet plan and lifestyle recommendations to balance your mind and body. To know more, visit www.totalayurvedacare.com.