Pile or hemorrhoid is a condition where inflammation and swelling occur in the veins present in the lower rectum. Hemorrhoids are the structures that control stool movement. In Ayurveda, it is called Arsha, a disease that tortures a patient’s vital force, i.e., Prana, due to imbalanced diet and lifestyle habits. It reduces digestive fire (Agni), which disturbs doshas at the anorectal region.
Types of Piles or Hemorrhoids
- Internal Hemorrhoids: It is usually painless but may have rectal bleeding
- External Hemorrhoids: Pain in the area of the anus associated with rectal bleeding.
General symptoms of piles
- Rectal pain
- Rectal bleeding
Symptoms of Internal Hemorrhoids
• Hematochezia: Bright red blood covering the stool.
• Protrusion of hemorrhoids through the anus.
Symptoms of External Hemorrhoids
Painful swelling or lump around the anus.
Signs and Symptoms of the piles according to Ayurveda
- The appearance of fleshy Mansaankura (swelling) in the anus
- Obstruction to the passage of gases
- Pain particularly on defecation
- Diminished appetite
In addition to these, some of the specific symptoms are-
A. Shushkarsha: The piles generally do not bleed and occur due to the predominance of Vayu & Kapha.
B. Sravi Arsha (Raktarsha): In this condition the patient suddenly passes streaks of bright red blood due to the dominance of Pitta & Rakta.
Common Causes of Hemorrhoids or Piles
- Constipation or constant diarrhea
- A low-fiber diet
- Prolonged sitting or standing
- Hurriedness while passing tools
Dietary changes for piles or Hemorrhoids
- Ayurveda recommends Takra (buttermilk) and Navaneetam (butter) for arsha’s (piles). Buttermilk is considered one of the best medicines for piles as it pacifies three doshas, ignites jatharagni (digestive fire), and relieves constipation. It is a good source of probiotics and also improves digestion.
- Include high fiber foods in your daily diet. Add leafy vegetables, millets, whole grain cereals, salads, unpeeled fruits, and unstrained soups with meals.
- Whole-grain foods: Godhuma-Genhu (wheat), Shali variety of rice, seeds of Yava (barley) and Kulattha-kulathi (Dolichos bean)brown rice, oatmeal, bran cereals, whole grain flour, whole-wheat pasta, or multi-grain bread
- Green leafy vegetables: Cabbage, asparagus, broccoli, tomatoes, cauliflower, onions, cucumber, squash, turnips, carrots, celery, the fruit of Kapittha (wood apple), leaf and fruit of Patola (a variety of small cucumber), leaf of Vastuka (a variety of chenopodium), root of Punarnava (pigweed), Suraṇa Kanda (tuber of amorphophallus-elephant’s foot), are the useful articles of diet for the patient of Arśa (piles)
- Fresh fruits with skin are high in fiber: Fruits such as apples, strawberries, blueberries, raisins, prunes, grapes, and without skin papaya, banana, oranges, grapefruit, and muskmelon should be consumed.
- Sprouts are rich in fiber, vitamin C, calcium and proteins.
- Drink at least 3-4 liters of water daily as only fiber or dietary changes may not work every time.
List of Foods to Avoid in Piles or Hemorrhoids
Ayurveda advises avoiding Viruddha ahara (incompatible food combination), AnupaMamsa (meat of animals residing in water i.e., fish), Vishtambika ahara (foods that cause indigestion), GuruAhara (difficult to digest foods), and Dushtaudaka (contaminated water).
Also, excessive consumption of ahara (food) having Katu (pungent), Tikta (bitter), and Kashaya (astringent) tastes can disturb digestion and prevents the proper formation of feces. Therefore, one should avoid these foods.
- High carbohydrate and high-fat foods
- Meat, fish, eggs, Caffeinated products, Bakery products
- Spicy food, and Gas-forming foods
- Smoking and alcohol
The ideal diet for piles must be fiber-rich foods like leafy vegetables and salads. Also, it is crucial to stay away from foods that can cause indigestion &dehydration. Learn more about the healthy diet plans to manage your digestive system better. We at Total Ayurveda Care provide online Ayurvedic consultation for piles treatment. Explore more Ayurvedic remedies by consulting expert Ayurvedic Doctors. Book your appointment now!