The liver, the largest gland in the body, makes up for 80 percent of cholesterol, while the remaining 20 percent portion is comes from the food we eat. Many assume cholesterol to have a negative impact. However, it is essential in the formation of new cells, vitamins, & hormones. Anything in excess is harmful, and overproduction of cholesterol tends to impact overall health. Bad cholesterol or low-density lipoprotein increases the risk for heart disease or a stroke in excessive amounts.
According to the Ayurveda view cholesterol plays a vital part in maintaining and lubricating the body’s various circulatory channels, known as “shrotas” – which carry micro-shrotasfibers to the cells and waste from the cells whereas larger shrotas, such as veins and the arteries carry blood from and to the heart. The shrotas must be flexible and stretchable to be healthy and functional.
Reasons for Increased Cholesterol
- Foods rich in high sugar and saturated fats or trans fat
- Unhealthy lifestyle
Symptoms of High Cholesterol
Typically doesn’t cause any symptoms, but people may experience
- Heart attack
- Peripheral artery diseases
- Bloating and digestive problems
- Bad breath
- Numbness in body parts
- Headache and nausea
- Fatigue & stress
- Weak eyesight
- Skin rashes
- Breathing problems
Ayurvedic Medicine to Lower Cholesterol
According to the Ayurveda, the formation of cholesterol does not necessarily need to be reduced, but it requires to be balanced. When the digestion is well-balanced, and in good condition then the body generates the right amount of cholesterol, in the right portion to nourish the body.
Ayurveda also advises consuming all tastes, sweet, sour, salty, pungent, bitter, and astringent at least once each day, to help balance unnatural appetites.
Here are Some Important Diet Tips and Herbal Remedies to Regulate Cholesterol Healthily
- Stay on a Kapha-pacifying diet: Avoid fatty food, processed foods, cheese, high-fat milk, or yogurt. Minimize the consumption of sweets, cold foods, and drinks.
- Garlic (the most effective in preventing high cholesterol): Mix one clove of fresh garlic chopped finely, half teaspoon grated ginger root and half teaspoon lime juice have this mixture before each meal
- Herbal tea: Drink a tea made of 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4thteaspoon of the herbal mixture trikatu.
- Include more millets, oatmeal, quinoa, wheat, apples, grapefruit, &almonds to reduce cholesterol.
- Physical activities: keep yourself engaged in physical activities to regulate cholesterol healthily.
- Drinking coriander water every day helps to remove the unwanted/bad cholesterol from the body
- Taking cold-medicated hip baths twice daily helps in the reduction of cholesterol.
- Garlic: A simple yet very effective remedy is to have a single piece of garlic every morning.
- Using the appropriate quantity of Almonds and walnut daily helps control cholesterol.
Herbs That Lower Cholesterol
It contains a plant sterol known as Guggulsterone, which is said to promote weight loss by stimulating the body’s metabolism. Moreover, it is also known as a natural cholesterol-lowering herb.
The suggested amount of Guggulsterone is 25 mg, which should be taken three times per day. Each extract generally contains up to 5-10% guggulsterones.Doctors familiar with its medical importance generally suggest taking Guggulu for at least twelve weeks before sizing up its effect.
Haritaki plays a key role in burning excess fat. It effectively detoxifies the body by removing toxins i.e. Aama and reduces sudden hunger pangs and a craving for unhealthy dietary choices. It also reduces the accumulation of LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) in the body.
Curcumin suppresses fat tissue growth and also lowers total blood cholesterol, Bad cholesterol (LDL), and Triglycerides because of its strong antioxidant property.
Traditional Ayurvedic Medicine suggests an internal dosage of 10-20 ml infusion or 1-3 grams powder can also be taken to lower bad cholesterol. A lavished teaspoonful of powdered turmeric can be mixed with water to slurry and drunk two to three times a day
The abundance of alkaloids and flavonoids in the power trinity increases heat helps the body shed excess weight faster by improving metabolic transformation and preventing further accumulation of fats.
Vidanga helps to manage weight by lowering lipid levels and improving the metabolism of the body.
The powder of musta tubers is made into capsules of 500 mg each. Two capsules were given to the person two times a day for two months it was found that all of them lost weight gradually during the trial period in an experimental study.
The likely mechanism may be by either crushing an appetite center in the brain or affecting the carbohydrate metabolism.
Managing cholesterol levels can be quite difficult at times but Adopting the necessary lifestyle changes and above mentioned Ayurvedic remedies, herbs will certainly help the individual lowering cholesterol level. Check out simple ways to lower bad cholesterol with our online Ayurvedic doctors. Book your appointment now!