Nidana Parivarjana -The pillar of procedure in diabetes, ‘Nidana’ means cause and ‘parivarjana’ means removal. Acharya Vagbhta has coined the call “Shayanam Vidhivarjitam” especially as a creative factor for Prameha.
Prameha is one such condition which is known to be led by unhealthy lifestyle and one among the “Asta Mahagada” as served in the literature. All the Acharyas stress Atinidra and Avyayama as the Nidana for Prameha along with many different Nidanas connected to healthy food and activity.
Nidana is the creative factor or those which are dominant sufficient to lead to disease are known as Nidana. ‘Nidana’ can be considered in two distinct contexts
- Etiological factors and
- Diagnosis of diseases.
Prameha Nidana is of 2 types
- Sahaja (Hereditary) and
- Apathya Nimitaja (Acquired).
Apathya Nimitaja (Acquired) is further of 3 types-
Samanya Nidana (General factors)
Diet-related Etiologies of diabetes
- Excess absorption of diet predominant of Sweet (Madhura ) & salt (lavana rasa) taste
- Payamsi (Practice of milk and milk preparation)
- Gramya-oudakaanupamamsa (meat of animals)
- Navaannapana (new grains), Guda-vaikruti (jaggery and its derivatives)
- Ikshurasa (sugar cane)
- Madhurahara (sweet substances)
- Pishtaahara (carbohydrate-rich food)
- Adhyashana (repeated food intake)
- Ahitashana (unwholesome diet).
Viharaja Nidana: (Lifestyle-related Etiologies)
- Asayasukham (habit of sitting on soft cushions for a long period)
- Swapana-sukham (prolonged sleeping)
- Alasya (sedentary life)
- Kaphakrut cha sarvam (all foods and lifestyle activities that increases Kapha)
- Ati atapa
Other causes include Sahaja (inherited factor), Bhaya (fear), and Deergha Roga (long-standing illness).
Vishesha Nidana (Specific etiological factors)
Following are the Specific Nidana of Prameha according to Doshika predominance
Kaphaja Prameha Nidana
- Aharajanya Nidana (Diet-related Etiologies)
Hayanka, Yavaka, Chanaka, Kuddalaka, Naishadhya, Itkata, Navanna, Sarpishmatam, , Mukundaka, Mahavrihi, Audaka Mamsa, Shaka, Tila, Palala, Pisthanna, Payasa, Krishara, Vilepi, IkshuVikara, etc.
- Viharajanya Nidana ((Lifestyle related Etiologies)
Mrijjavarjana, Vyayamavarjana, Swapna, Shayya Shleshma Meda- Mutravardhka Aasana, Prasanga.
Pittaja Prameha Nidana
- Aharjanya Nidana (Diet related Etiologies): are Ushna, Amla, Lavana, Kashaya, Katu, Vishama Ahara (food).
- Viharajanya Nidana ((Lifestyle related Etiologies): are Aatapa, Agni, Santapa, Krodha, and Shrama.
Vataja Prameha Nidana
- Aharjanya Nidana (Diet related Etiologies): are Kashaya, Laghu and Sheeta. Katu, Tikta, Ruksha
- Viharajanya Nidana ((Lifestyle related Etiologies): are Vyavaya, Avyayama etc.
Importance of Nidana parivarjana in diabetes
Ayurveda emphasizes preventive and useful forms rather than curative to maintain the equilibrium of the individual. And in this sequence, Ahara and Vihara are the most effective attributes for prevention and maintain the balance in Dosha, Dhatu, and Mala, etc.
Following rules help in the Prevention of Diabetes
- Use of different formations made from Yava (barley), Mudga (green gram), old rice, bitter gourd, drum-stick, methi (fenugreek), pumpkin, Patola (snake gourd), cucumber, bimbi, watermelon, buttermilk, Triphala are beneficial as preventive measures for borderline diabetic patients
- Dinacharya (daily routine) and ritucarya (Seasonal regimen)
- Regular exercise or increase in calorie-consuming exercises (Swimming, Brisk walking, etc.)
- Regular usage of Rasayana drugs (Amalaki Rasayana etc.)
- Restriction in intake of sugar/ sugar products, dairy products & fried food
- Control in the use of different types of wine, excess usage of oil, sugarcane products, clarified butter, milk, cakes, and the meat of domestic and aquatic animals
- Avoidance of day sleep
The study of Nidana (An etiology) is important to know the causative factor responsible for the manifestation of any disease. It facilitates treatment if the cause or causes of the diseases are traced out. With knowledge of Nidana, we can combat the manifestation and break the chain of pathogenesis. Talk to your online Ayurvedic doctor to see what diabetes treatment will work best for you. Book your appointment now!