Osteoarthritis (OA) is a chronic disease of the joints that causes pain and swelling in the joints. Osteo means bones and Arthritis is painful inflammation and stiffness of the joints.
It is called as SandhigataVata in Ayurvedic science. SandhigataVata means the invasion and localization of vitiated Vayu in the different joints of the body thereby producing pain, swelling, and difficulty in movements (stiffness).
It is a common form of arthritis and afflicts millions of people throughout the world. Osteoarthritis occurs when the protective cartilage on the ends of the bones wears down over some time. OA can affect and damage any joint (Sandhi) in the body.
Symptoms of Sandhigata Vata (OA):
The most common symptoms seen in OA are joint pain and stiffness. Associated with Joint swelling and decreased range of movements are also present in many cases. It gradually worsens with time (progressive) and no cure exists. The increased local temperature at the affected site/joint
Current conservative medical treatments focus on pain reduction and control of inflammation; even so, these approaches do not affect the natural course of the disease.
Active life, keeping healthy weights, effective medicines, and few medications may slow the progression of osteoarthritis and thus may help to improve pain and joint function.
Ayurvedic Line of Treatment:
Samshodhana – Purificatory Therapies
- Lepa – local application of paste prepared out of medicinal herbs
- Snehana – Massage with medicated oils
- Swedana – Medicated localized or generalized fomentation
- Snehapana – Internal oleation using medicated ghee
- Rasayana – Rejuvenation
Samshamana – Palliative Treatment
- Single herbs
- Compound formulations
- Internal medications
- External medications
Single Herbs In The Management of Sandhigata Vata
- Eranda – Root decoction is used for its analgesic and anti-inflammatory action
- Granthiparni – Dry aqueous extract and decoction of the whole plant is used for its analgesic, anti-arthritic and anti-inflammatory action
- Shunthi – It is used for its anti-inflammatory properties
- Jyotishmati – Leafjuice is used for its analgesic, anti-arthritic and anti-inflammatory action
- Guggulu – helps in reduction of pain and stiffness
- Bhallataka – Fruit powder is used for its anti-inflammatory action
- Ashwagandha – It soothes inflammation and ease swelling associated with pain
- Rasna – Rootdecoction is used for its analgesic and anti-inflammatory action
- Chitraka – It is used for its anti-inflammatory property
- Chandrashura – Seed powder is used for analgesic, anti-arthritic and anti-inflammatory action
- Intake of madhura (sweet), amla (sour), lavana (salt) rasa, and Snigdha (unctuous) food.
- Regular exercise
- Maintaining optimum weight
- Healthy diet
- Protecting injured joint from further damage
- Fasting and excessive intake of heavy food
- Night awakening
- Suppression of natural urges
- Overexertion or prolonged standing and injury
Diet In Sandhigata Vata (OA):
Best Grains: Wheat, Rice, Oats, Millets (in small quantity)
Best Legumes (Unpolished): Black Gram (Urad), Moong
Best Vegetables: Sweet Potato, Onions, Okra, Garlic, Raw Papaya, Sweet Peas, Ginger, White Potatoes (should be taken as curry with warming spices), Squash, Cauliflower, Beets, Carrots, Beans (in less quantity), tomatoes, Ash guard, Cilantro (Coriander Leaf), Bottle Gourd
Nuts (Soaked for overnight)/ Seeds: Almonds, Cashews, walnut, pistachio, Lotus Seeds (served with sugar and Ghee), Pecan, and Sesame Seeds (in form of chutney)
Best Animal Products: Duck Meat (cook with carminative spices, Chicken (cook till tender in gravy), Fish (both ocean & freshwater varieties), Eggs (Preferably organic, in curry form), Goat’s Meat/Mutton.
Best Fruits (Fresh & Seasonal): Cooked Apples (served with cinnamon powder), figs, mango, Apricots, Plums, Banana, Grapes, strawberries, Cherries, avocado, Soaked Dates, Coconut, Figs (Anjira), Pears (baked with Warming spices), Grapefruit (small quantity), Lime, Oranges, Papaya, Pineapple, Best Oils (Only cold-pressed options for cooking): Coconut, Olive, Mustard, Sunflower, Sesame (good for sautéing not deep frying).
Best Sweetener: Jaggery
Best Spices (use in moderation): Ginger, Cloves, Black Cumin (Kalonji), Mustard, Turmeric, Nutmeg, Cumin, Coriander, Cardamom, Saffron, Bay Leaf, Black Pepper, Long Pepper, White Pepper, Cinnamon, Clove, Asafoetida, Black Salt, Himalayan Rock Salt.
Restrictive Foods: Raw Salads, refrigerated/stale food, Spicy Foods (Pungent taste) Refined Sugar, Ice Cream, Yogurt, Fried Sweets, Mushrooms, Deep Fried Snacks, Leafy Greens, Roasted Meat, Fish or Vegetables; Packaged Fruit Juices, Aerated Drinks, Dark Chocolates Coffee . “Major injuries to joints going to predispose them to osteoarthritis”
It is essential to follow a healthy lifestyle, a balance between good diet and regular exercise to prevent your joint condition from worsening. But before you make any changes to your diet, You can contact online Ayurvedic doctors at Total Ayurveda Care and get more healthy tips. As we at TAC believe that everybody is different in its own way. Get in touch with our experts now and learn what suits your body the best.