Urethritis, is the inflammation or swelling of the urethra (the narrow tube carrying urine from the bladder). It results in an increased urge of urination associated with pain. It is mainly caused due to bacterial or viral infections that enter the urinary tract through the urethra. It affects people of all age groups. However, females are more prone to develop this infection as compared to males.
In Ayurveda, diseases of the bladder and urethra are called ‘Mutraghata’. It is essentially synonymous with Urethritis, a disease of the urinary tract. Urine elimination is the function of the Apana Vayu, and when Apana Vayu gets vitiated due to excessive intake of vata vitiating food, indigestion, overexertion, and excessive alcohol consumption are few causative factors of Urethritis.
It is classified as eight types, depending on the characters –
Causes of Urethritis :
- Bacterial and fungal infections.
- E Coli infection
- Intake of certain chemicals
- Less intake of fluids during the winter season
- Stone formation in the urinary tract
- Excess intake of alcohol
- Retention of urine for long hours
- Intake of excessive steroids
- Sharing of public toilets often leads to Urethritis in females as infection generally spreads quickly due to the short length of the urethra.
- Sharing of undergarments
- Living in unhygienic conditions
Symptoms of Urethritis :
- Pain in urethra while urination
- Burning sensation in the urethra
- Fear while passing urine
- Irritation in the urethra
- Incontinence of urination
- Abdominal pain
- Abnormal Discharge from urethra and vagina
- Difficulty in urination
- Mild to moderate rise in the temperature with chills & rigor
Prevention for Urethritis :
Some effective ways of preventing Urethritis, include:
- Avoid unprotected and risky sexual activity, such as having multiple sexual partners
- Avoiding using chemicals that can irritate the urethra such as detergents or spermicides etc.
- Good personal hygiene
The line of treatment according to Ayurveda in this condition is:-
- Removal of infection using internal detoxification of the diseases
- Removing of blockages
- Cleaning of the urinary tract
- Toning the kidneys
- Normalizing the functioning of the Apana Vayu
Ayurvedic formulations to treat Urethritis:-
- Chandraprabha Vati
- Kaishore Guggulu
- Punarnavadi Guggulu
- Gokshuradi Guggulu
- Varunadi kwatha
- Panchguna Churna
- Yavakshara Churna
- Sheetprabha Vati
Ayurvedic Remedies for Urethritis:
- Drinking a cup of ginseng tea in the early morning will help in flushing the infection out of the body.
- Take a tablespoon of kashaya prepared out of either celery seeds, gravel root, parsley, and stone root and place it in boiling water and reduce it to one-fourth.
- Intake of 2-3 bowls of yogurt every day. Yogurt contains live bacteria that help in increasing the count of good bacteria as compared to the bad and will help in fighting infections
- Mix one teaspoon of baking soda in a cup of water and use it to Rinse the opening of the urethra with this solution. It is useful in eliminating the acidity of the urine
- Two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with a glass of warm water will help in purification
Ayurvedic Diet and lifestyle for Urethritis:
- Drink an adequate quantity of water and other liquids every day. It is the most effective way to wash out microorganisms from the body.
- Avoid spicy dishes, beans, onions, strong tea and coffee, alcohol, cold drinks, and chocolates
- Juice of Punarnava is highly beneficial in Urethritis
- Have the juice of Pashanbheda with powder of Gokshur
- Have cold milk with plenty of sugar in it.
- Increase the quantity of garlic in meals/ salads/soups. It is a natural potent antibiotic that assists in eliminating the bacteria infesting the urethra.
Urethritis is infection caused by viral or bacteria’s and if not treated appropriately it may lead to Complications in men include infection of the bladder, testicles, or prostate and complications for women are infections of the bladder or the cervix and there is also an increased risk of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), which can lead to infertility and other problems.
We at Total Ayurveda Care understand the needs of your body and suggest lifestyle and diet changes accordingly. It is advised to consult our Online Ayurvedic Doctors before making any changes to your routine as each body is unique in its own way. Speak to our expert now. Book an Appointment.